FINAL MISSION:MISSION #8
DUE WEDNESDAY, DEC. 6
Being a dancer and appearing on the Corny Collins show was very important to Tracey Turnblad.
Why is Musical Theatre important to you and
why do you enjoy performing?
DUE MONDAY, NOV. 27
The song "Without Love" has a lot of historical /cultural references . Please research these terms or people and explain WHY the following examples are used in this song
(you can use other examples from the song to help you with your answer!):
1)PG.55 BROMO ( like my dad without his bromo)
2) PERRY COMO ( life's just making out with Perry Como)
3)DORIS DAY (life is Doris Day at the Apollo)
4) THE APPOLLO (from above)
5) PG.56 Life's a 45 when you can't buy it. WHAT'S A 45?
Due Wednesday, Nov.15
Hairspray the Broadway Musical was based the 1988 film, Hairspray.
For Mission #6, tell me about this film, the newer film and the Broadway Musical
Did they win any awards? Were both films musicals? Who was in them?
Due Wednesday, Nov.1
HAIRSPRAY is set during a turbulent time in American society. ( yes...you may need to look up the word "turbulent"!
PLEASE RESEARCH THE RACIAL SITUATION IN AMERICA DURING THE 1960'S
FOCUS ON THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT.
Look for: What did African Americans want?
Why did they feel like they weren't accepted?
Were there pivotal moments in the 1960's that might be seen as "turning points" in their fight?
BONUS: When did all this discrimination begin in America?
Due Wednesday, Oct.25
Have a look at the FUN FACTS page this week as the mission is based on the fun facts page information
RESEARCH MISSION: HAIRSPRAY is based on the attempt to integrate black dancers
on a primarily white TV dance show.
For this week's mission: research the BUDDY DEANE show.
Who was Buddy Deane
What were "council members" on his show called
Who was his biggest rival
Did Buddy Deane and the TV network actually end up integrating the show and include black and white kids?
Include any other interesting information.
Due Wednesday, Oct. 18
Hairspray the Brodaway Musical was based on the 1988 film of the same name.
The music for Hairspray was written by Marc Shaiman, the lyrics by Scott Wittman
and the book was written by Mark O'Donnel and Thomas Meehan
Please research the above people who are responsible for this fantastic show and write a biography on each of them.
Due Wednesday, Oct. 11
More words and phrases you may not know: Please define the following:
1. What is a "sophomore", pg. 20
2. Pg. 21 Who is "Wilt the Stilt"
3. Pg. 22 Who is Jackie Gleason
4. Pg. 22 What are "buster browns?"
5. Pg. 28, who were The GABOR sisters
6. pg.49, What is a govenor?
7. pg.51, what are pettipants?
8. pg. 51, what is a McCall's pattern?
9. pg.52, what does SCHMALTZ mean? what language does it come from?
10. pg. 55, what is a GHETTO?
Due Wednesday, OCT. 4
Hairspray is full of words, people and terms that we don't readily know. It's so important for a performer to understand what they are saying or singing so our first few missions will be centred around defining those words we aren't sure about.
1) Tracy sings Good Morning to Baltimore. Where is BALTIMORE?
2) pg.7 Velma says: " And Link, stop hogging it: you're not Elvis yet." Who is Elvis?
3) pg.9 - Tracy says " even our first lady, Jackie B. Kennedy, rats her hair". Who is Jackie B. Kennedy
4) What's a Whoopee Cushion ( pg.9)
5) Pg. 11: Who is Gidget? ( but now I'm just like Gidget and I gotta get to Rome)
6) pg. 14 Who is Rock Hudson ( I don't know how Rock Hudson stands it!)
7)pg.16, who was Shirley Temple. ( tha damn Shirley Temple stole my friggin' act!)
8) p17. Who was Allen Funt and what was Candid Camera.
DUE SATURDAY, DECEMBER 2
Research the times in which our story takes place.
Where does Sherlock Holmes live? ( His address, town, etc)
What was the political situation at the time: who was on the throne of England, who was leading the government?
BONUS: Many things were happening at the time in the world. Describe for me just 1 significant event in ENGLAND during Sherlock's fictional life.
DUE SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 25
Sherlock Holmes would not exist without Sir. Arthur Conan Doyle. Please write a short biography on this man. His birth/where he lived/was he always a write or did he do something else as well? Please include how many novels/stories he wrote about Sherlock and who did he use as inspiration for the character?
FOR A FUN FACT ON SOMETHING WITHIN OUR OWN PLAY, CHECK OUT THE FUN FACTS PAGE!
Your mission, should you choose to accept it..